The iOS 13 features have taken everyone by storm. They have taken the overall user experience to a whole new level. Apple has finally included the Dark Mode in its mobile operating system. It helps you to prevent eye strain, along with not disturbing others around in the low light condition. The privacy and security have been revamped, providing you better control over the data. But these are the features that people have already known. Are there any options that Apple has barely talked about? Are there any hidden iOS 13 features?
In this article, you will find 30 of the least known features of Apple’s newest mobile operating system. Now, let’s dive in.
iOS 13 Features List: 30 of the Least Known Features
- Stop the Army of Robocallers with Silence Unknown Callers
- Allow Your Significant Contacts to Sneak Through the DND Barrier with Emergency Bypass
- Enjoy the Power of Multitasking with Apple CarPlay
- Adjust Settings per Website on Safari
- Reduce Battery Aging with Optimized Battery Charging
- Tap and Drag Up the Volume
- Undo and Edit with Three-Fingered Gestures
- Enjoy Faster Cursor Navigation with Dragging
- Type Quickly by Swiping on the Keyboard
- Build Your Own Custom Memoji
- Revamped Way of Updating Apps
- New Way of Rearranging Apps
- Connect to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Quickly
- Set and Share Your Custom Name and Photo on Messages App
- Exclude Location Data While Sharing Photos
- Take Full-Page Screenshot
- Connect Bluetooth Mouse to the iPhone
- Download Large Apps on Cellular Data
- Scroll Faster on Safari with the New Scroll Bar
- Scan Documents with the Files App
- Use Two Phone Numbers for FaceTime and iMessage
- Remove Apps Directly from the App Store
- Close Inactive Safari Tabs Automatically
- Save All Open Tabs as Bookmark on Safari
- Enjoy Real-Time Lyrics on Apple Music
- Reduce the Data Usage of Apps with the Low Data Mode
- Search with Your Voice Everywhere
- Zip and Unzip Files in Files App
- Get Haptic Feedback While Using Face ID
- Connect PS4 and Xbox One Controller with Your iPhone
1. Stop the Army of Robocallers with Silence Unknown Callers
Are you irritated by the robocallers? There is a great iOS 13 feature that eliminates spam calls and solicitors from ringing your iPhone. It’s known as Silence Unknown Callers. With the specific feature turned on, the iPhone will only ring if the person calling you have been already added to your contacts list. However, the option is deactivated by default. To activate it, you have to follow these steps:
How to Enable “Silence Unknown Callers” Feature
- Head to the Settings app.
- Find and tap Phone.
- Turn the switch on beside Silence Unknown Callers.
2. Allow Your Significant Contacts to Sneak Through the DND Barrier with Emergency Bypass
You are very likely to be aware about Do Not Disturb feature of iOS 13. Once turned on, it silences all the distracting notifications. Also, it stops all the calls from getting in the way. So, you can fully focus on your work. But what most of the people don’t know about is iOS 13’s ability to allow the significant contacts to bypass the DND barrier. Thanks to the Emergency Bypass feature. It allows dear ones to call you even though the DND mode is activated.
To activate Emergency Bypass feature on Do Not Disturb mode, follow these steps:
How to Enable Emergency Bypass Feature:
- Open Contacts.
- Select the contact that you want to pass the DND barrier.
- Tap Edit in the Upper Right Corner.
- Scroll down and tap Ringtone.
- Toggle on the switch beside Emergency Bypass.
- Finally, tap Done.
3. Enjoy the Power of Multitasking with Apple CarPlay
The iOS 13 has provided CarPlay with a revamped dashboard interface. But more importantly, it shows you different information from multiple apps, rather than just one. There are lots of utility on a single screen. Apple Maps and tiles for playing/stopping music is available on the dashboard. So, with the new iOS 13 feature, you no longer have to switch apps to stop the music while navigating. In this way, you can enjoy the power of multitasking.
4. Adjust Settings per Website on Safari
Earlier, when you changed the font size in Safari, it had been applied to all the websites. But in iOS 13, there is a way of configuring custom settings for each of the websites. So, you will see big texts on one site, small texts on another. Also, it’s possible to always view a specific website in the desktop version, rather than in the optimized mobile version. So, the new iOS 13 feature allows you to enjoy the complete control over how the website will look on your iPhone.
5. Reduce Battery Aging with Optimized Battery Charging
Regularly charging the battery to full and keeping it there for a long time can cause dramatic degradation. So, it will begin to age faster than expected. As a result, the battery performance will be massively affected. To prevent it from being happened, Apple has included a new iOS 13 feature. It’s known as Optimized Battery Charging. Once turned on, the new feature will keep the battery to 80% for most of the night. It will charge the iPhone to 100% just before your alarm goes off.
To activate the Optimized Battery Charging feature, follow these steps:
How to Enable Optimized Battery Charging Feature
- Head to Settings > Battery > Battery Health.
- Turn on the switch beside Optimized Battery Charging.
6. Tap and Drag Up the Volume
All the users around the world have been asking Apple about redesigning the giant volume indicator for years. Finally, the Cupertino company has listened. It has replaced the indicator with a smaller vertical bar. You can find it on the upper left corner of the screen. You can adjust the volume very easily. Simply drag the bar up and down to increase or decrease the volume. So, you don’t have to use the physical buttons on the side of your iPhone and iPad. It’s one of those iOS 13 features that allow you to use the iPhone a lot easier.
7. Undo and Edit with Three-Fingered Gestures
Not everyone likes “shake to undo” feature. A huge number of users do not find it as intuitive. If you are one of them, make sure to try the new iOS 13 features, known as three finger swipe gestures. It allows you to perform various functions, including cut, copy, paste, undo and redo. First, select the text. Pinch three fingers to copy it. Then un-pinch with the three fingers to paste. To cut the text, perform the Copy gesture two times. To redo, swipe left with three fingers. To undo, swipe right. So, you no longer have to shake your iPhone.
8. Enjoy Faster Cursor Navigation with Dragging
The previous version of iOS allows you move the cursor conveniently by holding down the space bar to transform the virtual keyboard into a virtual trackpad. The iOS 13 still supports the specific feature. But now, it does the thing in an even better way. Now, you can tap and drag the cursor anywhere. In this way, you can enjoy a faster navigation. It’s one of those iOS 13 features that create the most disruptive changes in Apple’s mobile operating system.
9. Type Quickly by Swiping on the Keyboard
There are several groundbreaking iOS 13 features that boost the productivity significantly. One of them is Quick Path. It allows the users to type by simply swiping on the keyboard. You don’t have to lift your finger a single time. In this way, you can type at an incredible speed and enhance your productivity.
10. Build Your Own Custom Memoji
In iOS 13, you can create your own Memoji matching your personality and mood. The created Memoji will turn into sticker packs that live in your keyboard. From there, you can use them on a variety of apps, like Messages and Mail. They will have your preferred poses, like sleeping and thumbs up. They are highly customizable. You can choose the color tone, hair and eyes of the stickers. It’s one of the coolest iOS 13 features.
11. Revamped Way of Updating Apps
Unlike the previous iOS version, the “Updates” tab in the App Store tab has gone. The update functionality has been relocated to a new place. As a result, the way of updating apps has been changed. Nonetheless, the new iOS 13 feature has made everything a lot easier.
To update apps on iOS 13, follow these steps:
How to Update Apps in iOS 13:
- Open the App Store application.
- Tap your account profile.
- The Account pop up screen will appear. Scroll down to Available Updates If you want to update all apps, tap Update All.
- If you don’t want to update a particular app anymore, swipe left to delete it.
- When your chosen apps are updated, quit the App Store.
12. New Way of Rearranging Apps
Earlier, you were required to long-press and drag to move the app icon on the screen. But in iOS 13, the way has been changed a bit. You still have to long press the app icon that you want to move. However, after doing that, a new pop-up menu will appear. After choosing “Rearrange apps,” you will get to the wiggles. Now, you can drag the icons around the screen.
13. Connect to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Quickly
For years, the Android users have been enjoying the benefit of the quick settings panel. It allows them to perform common tasks, like connecting to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, very quickly. On the other hand, the iPhone users had to go through some additional steps to do the same thing. But with the introduction of new features in iOS 13, things have changed dramatically. You can connect to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth faster than ever before. Just follow these simple steps:
How to Connect to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Quickly in iOS 13
- Open Control Panel.
- Long press on the connection box displaying the icons for Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Cellular and Airplane Mode.
- Long press your preferred connection, like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi.
- If you tap Wi-Fi, you will find a list of available networks. Tap on your desired one. Then enter the password and connect.
- If you tap Bluetooth, you will see a list of nearby Bluetooth devices. Then select the device that you want to connect to. That’s it!
14. Set and Share Your Custom Name and Photo on Messages App
The new iOS 13 feature enables you to beam your custom name and photo to the other iOS users when they chat with you in the Messages app. It is really simple to set up. Here are the steps that have to go through:
How to Set and Share Your Custom Name and Photo on Messages App
- Go to the Messages app.
- Click on the ellipsis menu at the top and select Edit Name and Photo.
- Now, you can edit your name and select your profile pic. Then turn on the switch beside Name and Photo Sharing. You can also specify if you want it to be visible to only your contacts.
That’s it! You have successfully set your custom name and photo.
15. Exclude Location Data While Sharing Photos
There is a new iOS 13 feature that lets you exclude location data while sharing photos. In this way, you can maintain privacy. Excluding the data is really simple. Follow these steps:
How to Exclude Location Data While Sharing Photos
- Before sharing any images from the Photos App, click Options at the top.
- Under the Include section, turn the toggle off for Location.
- Then tap Done in the top right.
Now, when you share the photo, the location data will not be included with it.
16. Take Full-Page Screenshot
There are times when you need to capture the entire page details. With the full-page screenshot feature on iOS 13, you don’t have to take several individual shots and stitch them together to get the complete view of the entire page. When you take a screenshot by pressing the power button and the volume up button, you will see a new option at the top portion of the editing screen. It’s called Full Page. Tap it. Then tap on the Done button. Now, the full-page screenshot will be saved to the Files app.
17. Connect Bluetooth Mouse to the iPhone
With the introduction of new iOS 13 features, you can use any Bluetooth mouse with your iPhone, mimicking the human fingerprint. But to make this work, you need to turn on the Assistive Touch. Navigate to Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Assistive Touch and toggle the switch on.
Now, you can connect the Bluetooth mouse. Follow these steps:
How to Connect Bluetooth Mouse to the iPhone in iOS 13
- Go to Settings > Accessibility > Switch Control > Switches.
- Now, press Bluetooth Devices. Put the Bluetooth mouse in the pairing mode. Tap the name of the mouse when it shows up in the menu.
18. Download Large Apps on Cellular Data
In Apple’s latest mobile operating system, you can choose to download large apps and games on mobile data. To enjoy this new iOS 13 feature, go to Settings > iTunes & App Store. Under the Mobile Data section, tap App Downloads. Then choose Always Allow option if you always want to download the app on mobile data. However, if you want to be asked about using the cellular data, select Always Ask option. On the other hand, choosing Ask If Over 200MB will trigger the phone to ask about downloading the app only if the size is over 200 MB.
19. Scroll Faster on Safari with the New Scroll Bar
When you start scrolling a web page in Safari, you will find a new Scroll Bar on the right. By using it, you can scroll significantly faster than usual. Long press the scroll bar and drag it up or down. The faster you drag, the faster the browser will scroll. It can be very handy while reading long articles. It’s one of those great iOS 13 features that you must give a try.
20. Scan Documents with the Files App
The revamped Files app is one of the major iOS 13 features that you must know about. It provides you with a number of new options. The most significant one is the ability to scan and save documents right into the Files app. Using the feature is really simple:
How to Scan Documents with the Files App
- Open the Files
- Choose the Browse
- Tap three dot icon in the top-right corner.
- Tap Scan Documents.
- Hold your iPhone over the document that you want to scan. It will be scanned automatically.
21. Use Two Phone Numbers for FaceTime and iMessage
If you have to travel abroad frequently, here is a great iOS 13 feature for you. Both the iMessage and FaceTime offer dual SIM support on Apple’s latest mobile operating system. So, if you travel internationally and need a data plan that’s less pricey than roaming fees, it can be very handy for you. In the earlier version of iOS, you could have used only one SIM card for FaceTime and iMessage.
22. Remove Apps Directly from the App Store
Starting in iOS 13, you can delete apps directly from updates list in the App Store. Simply open the App Store. Then tap your profile icon to get into the updates list. Check if the app you want to remove is available under Upcoming Automatic Updates or Updated Recently. If you find it, swipe left on it. Finally, tap the Delete button. The app will be removed from your iPhone.
23. Close Inactive Safari Tabs Automatically
Another cool iOS 13 feature is the ability to get inactive Safari tabs closed automatically. You just need to specify the duration of the inactivity. Follow these steps:
How to Get Inactive Safari Tabs Closed Automatically After a Specific Duration
- Head to Settings > Safari.
- Scroll down to the TABS
- Tap Close Tabs.
- Now, select your preferred duration, including After One Day, After One Week or After One Month.
From now on, the Safari tabs will be closed automatically if you don’t view them in the selected duration.
24. Save All Open Tabs as Bookmark on Safari
Have you ever been searching something on your iPhone’s browser and wished to save the links for all those open tabs? It’s possible to bookmark them individually. However, it will be time consuming. In this case, a new iOS 13 feature comes to play, which allows you to save the links as a group. Follow these steps:
How to Save All Open Tabs as Bookmark on Safari
- Tap and hold the Bookmark button.
- Tap Add Bookmarks for [number] Tabs.
- Now, a new folder will be created for the tabs. You can specify the name of the folder and its location.
- Finally, tap Save.
25. Enjoy Real-Time Lyrics on Apple Music
One of the most amazing iOS 13 features is the support for real-time lyrics on Apple Music. If you go to the Now Playing screen, you will find a new speech bubble icon with two quotation marks inside it. If the song that you are playing has lyrics support, simply tap on the button. It will fill up the screen with lyrics. So, you can sing karaoke-style.
26. Reduce the Data Usage of Apps with the Low Data Mode
Low Data Mode is one of the most useful iOS 13 features. As the name suggests, it conserves power for limited data plans. So, you can reduce the mobile data usage of the apps. To activate it, go through these steps:
- Head to Settings > Cellular.
- Tap Cellular Data Options.
- Toggle the switch on next to Low Data Mode.
27. Search with Your Voice Everywhere
Another big iOS 13 feature is the addition of voice search. In fact, you can use your voice to find everywhere on your iPhone. Once you update your device to iOS 13, you will find a little microphone on the right of every search bar. Tap on it. Then you can enter your search query by voice. You no longer need to type it out. The voice search is compatible with all sorts of apps, including Spotlight, Message and Today View.
28. Zip and Unzip Files in Files App
With the introduction of iOS 13, the Files app has received several new features. One of the most significant options is the capability of zipping and unzipping the files directly from your iPhone. There are certain formats, like RAR and 7Z, which are not supported. Nonetheless, the Files app can open ZIP and TAR files. Also, it can compress the files in ZIP format. It’s one of those cool iOS 13 features that make things a lot easier.
How to Zip and Unzip Directly in Files App
- Open the Files
- Find the file that you want to compress. Make sure that the format is ZIP or TAR.
- Tap and hold the file. Then select Compress. All of its content will be zipped to a folder.
- If you want to unzip, tap and hold the file. Then tap Uncompress.
29. Get Haptic Feedback While Using Face ID
A new subtle iOS 13 feature is allowing the iPhone to deliver haptic feedback when you are unlocking your device with Face ID. When your face is authenticated successfully, you will get the buzz of haptics, which gives you a satisfying feeling. Simply go through these steps:
- Head to Settings > Accessibility.
- Under Physical and Motor, select Face ID & Attention.
- Toggle the switch on next to Haptic on Successful Authentication.
From now on, you will get a satisfying haptic vibration whenever the Face ID unlocks.
30. Connect PS4 and Xbox One Controller with Your iPhone
With Apple introducing new iOS 13 features, connecting the PS4 controller with the iPhone has become as simple as connecting any other Bluetooth device. You just need to put it in pairing mode and connect to the smartphone.
How to Connect PS4 Controller with Your iPhone on iOS 13
- Go to Settings. Make sure that the Bluetooth is on.
- Now, grab the PS4 controller. Push and hold PS button and Share button for 5 seconds simultaneously. The light bar will start to blink.
- Grab your iPhone. Under Bluetooth, you will see DualShock 4 Wireless Controller. Tap on it.
- Once connected with the iPhone, the PS4 controller’s light bar will turn pink.
How to Connect Xbox Controller with Your iPhone on iOS 13
- Head to Settings. Ensure that the Bluetooth is enabled.
- Take your Xbox One controller. Press and hold the wireless button for a few seconds. You should see the light on the Xbox button starting to flash.
- Now, grab the iPhone. Under Bluetooth, you will see Xbox Wireless Controller. Tap on it
- If it’s connected successfully, the light on the Xbox buttons will stop flashing and stay lit.
This is the end of our least known iOS 13 features list. Now, you can use your iPhone in a significantly better way. We publish more articles on the hidden features of Apple’s mobile operating system. So, do not forget to check our website regularly.